From today's featured article
Interstate 96 (I-96) is an Interstate Highway running 192 miles (309 km) roughly east–west entirely within the US state of Michigan, from east of Lake Michigan at US Highway 31 near Muskegon to I-75 near the Ambassador Bridge in Detroit. From Grand Rapids through Lansing to Detroit, the freeway parallels Grand River Avenue, never straying more than a few miles from the decommissioned US 16. Within the city of Detroit, the road was renamed the Rosa Parks Memorial Highway in 2005 in honor of the late civil rights pioneer. There are four auxiliary Interstate Highways as well as two current and four former business routes associated with I-96. Grand River Avenue originated as an Indian trail before Michigan statehood. It was later used as a wagon road across the state. In 1919 the roadway was included in the State Trunkline Highway System as M-16 and later the US Numbered Highway System as US 16. Construction of the freeway was started in 1956 and initially completed across the state to Detroit in 1962. I-96 was completed in the Detroit area on November 21, 1977. (Full article...)
Did you know...
In the news
On this day...
Other areas of Wikipedia
- Community portal – Bulletin board, projects, resources and activities covering a wide range of Wikipedia areas.
- Help desk – Ask questions about using Wikipedia.
- Local embassy – For Wikipedia-related communication in languages other than English.
- Reference desk – Serving as virtual librarians, Wikipedia volunteers tackle your questions on a wide range of subjects.
- Site news – Announcements, updates, articles and press releases on Wikipedia and the Wikimedia Foundation.
- Village pump – For discussions about Wikipedia itself, including areas for technical issues and policies.
Wikipedia's sister projects
Free media repository
Wiki software development
Wikimedia project coordination
Free textbooks and manuals
Free knowledge base
Collection of quotations
Directory of species
Free learning materials and activities
Free travel guide
Dictionary and thesaurus